Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dinner Dilema



Ok, so we are all pumped about out losses and also want to give a big THANK YOU to all of you who wrote wonderful supportive messages. We know we can do this as long as we stick to it, don't quit and support each other ...and continue to read all of your wonderful messages of encouragement.

So now this week has been a little more challenging with the cooking of dinner.  Shopping alone was a job this week.  You see I want to get the right things that are within our daily points and gives satisfying taste...

As I get better at knowing what is worth using our points on, planning our meals will be easier. 

So this week, I tried a NEW recipe that Tommy found in a WW Cookbook some loaned him at work,  so on Monday night we had TEX Mex Meatloaf.  Now I was concerned it wouldn't be enough, cause if you have ever been to my house you know I love to cook and I cook for an army...which in reality is gotten so much smaller over the years, but once you cook like that, it just comes naturally.

It was actually really good, we also had green beans (zero points) and a green salad(zero points until you add your dressing)  It was a very filling and satisfying .  The meatloaf was 3 points for every 2 slices.  Now don't get crazy, you were to cut 12 slices from you loaf, but with it only being 3 points, if you had still had daily points to use, you could have seconds. 

Thomas, our son, who isn't on WW, kind of you are is what I told him.....since that's how I am cooking now, and if he eats at home, well then its going to happen.  He doesn't care, a home cooked FREE meal are his favorite!

Here is the recipe, hope you like it.  I made two loaves, since a bought ground turkey in a 3 pound package

Tex-Mex Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground skinless turkey breast

1 Cup fat free mild chunky salsa

1 small onion, finely chopped

1/2 Cup frozen corn kernels

1/3Cup instant mashed potato flakes

1 egg white

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon pepper


1. Preheat the oven to 400* degrees, Spray a baking sheet with fat free nonstick spray

2. Combine the turkey, 1/2 Cup of the salsa, the onion, the corn, the potato flakes, egg white, garlic, oregano and pepper in a large bowl.  Transfer the mixture to the sheet and form into a loaf ( I cheated, I happen to have a loaf pan for my breads I make; which some of you have had; so i put the mixture in there to form it,then I flipped over onto the baking sheet) Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of salsa over the top.

3. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.  Let Stand for 10 minutes before slicing.  Cut into 12 slices ( yes, it can be done)

4. ENJOY!!!

Points Value: 3 per serving (serving is 2 slices of meatloaf)

I will try and take a picture of what I make next time...pictures seems to help with food. Now if we can get the smell to cover through the computer....we would be set!!

Let me know if you tried it, and what you thought.  I will for sure be making this again for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment